It’s Not A Sales Job
If you view building your network as a sales job then your going about it all wrong. It’s not about how to recruit people, it’s about how to influence people. People in most cases hate to be recruited, to be sold, but they don’t mind being influenced, to buy.
Don’t Be A Recruiter
It’s the difference between being a hunter and being a farmer, just like the difference between being a recruiter or a person of influence.
A hunter is a sales person who chases and hunts, new leads and opportunities. He likes the excitement of the hunt, he builds a blind to surprise the lead. He uses a high powered weapon to kill any objections. Once they “bag” their prey they are on to the next target. They have little patience and are only interested in the hunt.
A farmer works his leads and opportunities. He is interested in nurturing and growing his leads. He cultivates the relationship, looking for ways that it can benefit both the lead and himself. With a thoughtful and respectful approach he cultivates trust. With caring solutions to problems he kills the weeds of doubt. Training and follow-up provides the fertilization, that leads to a harvest of bounty.
A Warm Body
A person who recruits can build a network fast, but it won’t grow and be self sustaining because the recruiter is never interested in the recruit as a person, they are just a warm body to them.
A Person You Care About
A person who uses influence may build his network slower but it’s stable and self sustaining because he cares about people, he wants them to grow, just as much if not more then the network.
It;s About Sharing
When you influence people to join a network you want to show them how they will benefit. Showing them how they can take control of their lives, it’s about sharing not taking. The five biggest benefits of being in a network are.
- Content Resources: The sharing of information, the how to and what for. The greatest resource are the people in your network.You become part of a positive and motivated team that has you in their best interest.
- Personal Support: People need people, especially now. The days of being a lone wolf are over. More and more we survive and endure by supporting each other. With the help and support of your network you can change tremendously as a person, physically, intellectually and financially.
- Help: No one wants to see you succeed more then your network. They are willing to do whatever it takes to ensure you get the training, information and resources you need. Your in business for yourself, but not by yourself.
- Sense of Belonging: This fundamental human need is enhanced within a network striving for a common goal. To see people in your network achieve their dreams, and help you achieve yours is what makes life enjoyable.
- Personal Empowerment: Become the person of your dreams, living a life of freedom and happiness. The more you grow as a person the bigger your income becomes. Doubt and worry are replaced by certainty and confidence as you watch your business grow to heights you never dreamed of.
Reason Most People Join
If your lucky enough to be brought into a network by a person who influenced you as opposed to selling you on a product or service, you understand better then most, that most people will buy into your network because they like and trust you. Don’t be a hunter of people, be a farmer.
As always, thanks for visiting. Dave