NLP stands for Neuro-Linguistic Programming, a name that encompasses the three most influential components involved in producing human experience: neurology, language and programming. ).NLP is a pragmatic school of thought – an ‘epistemology’ – that addresses the many levels involved in being human.
NLP is a multi-dimensional process that involves the development of behavioral competence and flexibility, but also involves strategic thinking and an understanding of the mental and cognitive processes behind behavior.
NLP provides tools and skills for the development of states of individual excellence, but it also establishes a system of empowering beliefs and presuppositions about what human beings are, what communication is and what the process of change is all about.
In essence, all of NLP is founded on six fundamental presuppositions:
1. The Map is Not the Territory. As human beings, we can never know reality. We can only know our perceptions of reality. It is generally not reality that limits us or empowers us, but rather our map of reality.
2. The Past Doesn’t Equal the Future. These systems are based on certain ‘self-organizing’ principles and naturally seek optimal states of balance or homeostasis.Believing that we ar doomed to repeat the past, leads to a lack of self-esteem and a general feeling of hopelessness.
3. People Aren’t Broken.The idea of original sin is a dis-empowering belief. Part of religious orthodoxy in the west, this fallacy is not prevalent in most eastern religions.
4. Everything is Achievable. Just because we don’t know how, doesn’t mean it’s not possible. The word impossible is a dis-empowering belief that minimizes hope. You can achieve by forming appropriate strategies.
5. Empowerment Comes Via Responsibility. Dependence upon how others see us, feel about us or approve of us affects all our actions. There are no gurus. True maturity is the acceptance of responsibility.
6. People Respond to Perception Not Reality. Our minds filter the world to agree with our beliefs. As a man thinks so shall he be. Just because we assume doesn’t mean it is.
Scientist theorize that the world pushes two billion bits of information a second. Humans only adsorb 134,000 bits per second, using our five senses and our beliefs which automatically eliminate bits that don’t conform.We eliminate more then we take in. We then compare this collage to our mental library of beliefs, to determine what it means, and how it makes us feel, only then do we respond. Our reality is all about the story in our heads.
All of the models and techniques of NLP are based on the combination of the above per-suppositions. In the belief system of NLP it is not possible for human beings to know objective reality. Rather, the goal is to create the richest map possible that respects the systemic nature and ecology of ourselves and the world we live in.
The people who are most effective are the ones who have a map of the world that allows them to perceive the greatest number of available choices and perspectives. NLP is a way of enriching the choices that you have and perceive in the world around you.
Excellence comes from having many choices. Wisdom comes from having multiple perspectives. Through the years, NLP has developed some very powerful tools and skills for communication and change in a wide range of professional areas including: counseling, psychotherapy, education, health, creativity, law, management, sales, leadership and parenting.
NLP is now in its fith decade as a field of study and has evolved considerably since its beginnings in the mid 1970s. Over the years, NLP has literally spread around the world and has touched the lives of millions of people.
Since the 1990’s, a new generation of NLP has been developing. This form of NLP addresses generative and systemic applications and focuses on high level issues such as identity, vision and mission.
Follow me as I continue to plumb the depths of this Science, extrapolating the key components, for your review and consideration.
As always, thanks for visiting. Dave